- My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?
Yes, most car donations are accepted, running or not (exceptions include older cars whose value would not offset the cost of towing). To find out if we can accept your car donation, please call 1.877.KARS4KIDS®, or fill out the online car donation form.
- What can I donate?
We accept car donations, RVs, boats, trailers, motorcycle, jet ski, bus and snowmobiles.
- How much will I receive as a tax deduction for my used car?
The IRS allows you to claim a tax deduction of:
a) The value of your vehicle up to $500. It is up to the donor to determine the fair market value.
b) The amount we sell your vehicle for - if it is more than $500.
Kars4kids is a classified 501(c)(3) charity organization. You can check with your tax advisor or accountant to determine the amount of your benefit. The deduction is of value only if the donor itemizes his or her deductions. For a more detailed overview the IRS publishes a Donors Guide to Car Donation.
- Will you accept car donations with an engine not running or with other mechanical problems?
Yes! Even 'clunkers' have some value.
- What if I don't have my title?
We can almost always pick up your car donations without a title. Call us at 1.877.Kars.4.kids® (877.527.7454) to see whether we can pick up your car.
- What happens if there's a problem with my car after it's donated?
You are responsible for the car until it is picked up. You are liable for all previous storage charges and previous fines. Once the car has been picked up we take full responsibility.
- Will my car be junked or used for parts?
How your donations will be handled depends on its condition and on other variable factors. In any case, kars4kids will have benefited, and you'll receive your tax deductible receipt.
- Do I have to be home when you pick up my car?
No! Just clean the car of any personal belongings and leave the keys and title under the dashboard.
- Will I get a temporary receipt at the time of the pick-up?
You will receive a temporary receipt from the towing company at the time of the pick up. It will have all your car information along with our name and phone number. You just have to notify us once the car gets towed and we will mail you the tax deductible receipt along with the hotel voucher.
- What do I need to know about signing my title?
When signing your title, please make certain that you print and sign your name as the "Seller" in EXACTLY the way it appears on the face of the title.
- Is there any expense involved on my part, like towing charges?
No. There is absolutely no charge.
- What areas do you service?
We can pick up cars in all 50 states.
- Who will pick up my car donation?
Kars4kids has a network of professionally licensed, bonded and insured towing agencies throughout the U.S. that pick up car donations. You will be contacted to arrange a time of pickup that is convenient for you, free of charge.
- How long will it take till my car is picked up?
The average pickup time for car donations is usually 24-72 hours from your initial contact with us.
- If someone passed away can the car still be donated?
We can pick up the car as long as you have a copy of the death certificate and documentation that you are the official inheritor of the deceased’s belongings.
- Can I donate an abandoned car?
Unfortunately we can not accept abandoned cars. You should try contacting a local junkyard to pick it up.
- What if my car didn't pass the emission test?
Even if it failed it we'll be happy to accept it.
- What should I do with my license plate after I donate my car?
In most states you should remove the license plates once the tower arrives and return them to the DMV. However, in the following states the license plates need to remain on the car: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisianna, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Washington.
In the states of California and Arizona you must also turn in a release of liability as well. In Washington State this form is called a Report of Sale. On this form, you should fill in our name and address: Kars4kids, 1805 Swarthmore Ave. Lakewood, NJ 08701. For the vehicle purchase price you can fill in donation.